Thursday, January 26, 2012

Kitchen Play: Pork. Nuff Said.

Yeah...Kitchen Play with Pork.  


Oh the jokes Eric would make about that statement...


Here's how things went down a couple of days ago.  


Eric (throwing something in the trash): I noticed you drank a Dr. Pepper today.


Me: What?  No I didn't.  [lie]


Eric: Oh so that's the can from the other day in the trash?


Me: ... No.


Eric: (laughing) oh okay.


Ten Minutes Later...


Eric: (coming out of the bedroom) Well since you had a Dr. Pepper earlier, I'm going to go get a Pepsi to drink with dinner.


Me:  Ooo....will you please get me a Dr. Pepper too?


Eric: No.  You had one earlier.


Me: No I didn't!  Please get me one!  I've been cooking and really need a Dr. Pepper to have with dinner.


Eric: No!  You had one already.


[by this point he's walking out of the apartment and I run to the open door]


Me: (calling out to him as he walks out and down the corridor) Eric!  Please!  Come on ... Get me a Dr. Pepper ...  Seriously?  ...  You aren't going to?  ... POO HEAD!


That's right, ladies and gentlemen.  I am that mature.  I called out to my husband in our complex and called him a poo head.


Of course, he came back with a Dr. Pepper for me.


I should have know better.


Moving on to the topic at hand...


That evening, I was attempting an experiment.  I am not HUGE on experimenting with food because I'm terrified of wasting it and messing it up.  My experiment was with Pork Chops. Typically, I'd just cook them on the stove top in a pan.  Nothing fancy.  Simple.  But I was inspired and decided to stuff them.  So here's the recipe that I came up with:




Stuffed Pork Chops


2 boneless pork chops
3 tablespoons of rough chopped andouille 
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
6 mushrooms, chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
3 tablespoons of pepperjack cheese, grated
2 tablespoons of bread crumbs 
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of olive oil
toothpicks


1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place a pork chop between cling wrap and beat until about a quarter inch thin.  I have a meat mallet but in the past, I've used a rolling pin when I was in a pinch.  If your arms get too tired, just make sure that the meat is flexible enough to be rolled up.
3. In a bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients.  
4. [NOTE: This step can be done one of two ways.  I did each pork chop differently and found that each method just as easy as the other.]
Method 1: Roll the chop sort of like a cannoli so it's tube shaped.  Push the toothpicks through so that they hold the chops together.  Fill the pork tube (hehe) with the stuffing mix.
Method 2: Spoon the stuffing mix onto the chop.  Roll the chop around the mix and push the toothpicks through to hold the chop together.
5. Place the chops in a baking dish and bake for roughly 20 minutes.


That's it!  It's super easy (other than the beating meat part) and delicious!  Plus, the stuffing is flexible.  You want to add beans?  Ok!  Or squash?  Or tomatoes?  WHATEVER!  Have fun with it!

I served mine with a white bearnaise sauce (you can see them simmering in the sauce in the picture above).





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...