Monday, January 23, 2012

The Hot Librarian: A Little More from Lady Lamb

For those of you keeping up, you will remember that last week I wrote a review on Julia's Chocolates by Cathy Lamb.  I'm going to stick with this author because:
1. I love her.
2. You should too.


The first of her books that I read was Such a Pretty Face (get it on amazon).  Stevie Barrett is the main character.  Here's why you love her:
1. Her name is Stevie (come on?  How could you NOT love her)
2. She's got the SADDEST story ever and you just want to hug her.
3. She accepted that her obesity was going to kill her and she did something about it.


There's about 45 more reasons to love her but I'll leave it at that.  Stevie is trying to get her life together after this enormous physical change.  She works in a dysfunctional office, has a best friend that treats her like shit (seriously, I wanted to punch this woman repeatedly), and she has crazy cousins and an aunt and uncle who are ridiculous beyond belief.  She's filled with so much love and breaks her back repeatedly to try and pour this love out on people that are horrible to her.  Well...she pours it out to everyone except for the hottie that she wants (isn't that always the case?).  But there is something in this character that as the reader you get amazing glimpses of by seeing what she does when she's alone.  Who would have thought that her garden is glorious and precious to her?  Or who would have ever known that in her garage are the most artistic chairs that you have ever seen?  


I realize that this review is kind of pathetic.  Although I can't remember the phrases that made me laugh or the awful things her friend said, I remember the impact of that book.  I remember lying in bed on my side pregnant and having my pillow soaked by the tears that flowed for Stevie.  I'm fairly certain at one point I had decided that no matter what Eric said, if the baby turned out to be a girl, I was naming her Stevie.  


Read it.  Love it.  Then come back and tell me how much you loved it.


You will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...