Saturday, May 14, 2011

Trigger me this...

I may have pinpointed the cause of my "pregnancy" headaches.

I've been thinking lately that there has to be more to these headaches than just hormones gone crazy from the baby that kicks me nonstop (seriously, as I type this I can see his little arms and legs pushing up against my skin).
I once read Sugar Blues (read it...you may not touch sugar ever again...or you'll be like me and avoid it for two weeks and then fall pathetically to the cravings or withdrawals) and I thought about it this week when I was trying to come up with theories of what could be causing the headaches.

Can't be dehydration.  I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day (I'm not exaggerating).
It can't be that I'm consuming nicotine or alcohol...because I'm pregnant.

Definitely not caffeine.  Although I still drink caffeine, I monitor it to almost the milligram and I'm always under the limit.
Then I thought about sugar.

Oh.
Hmmm...

For a woman with PCOS, and who is pregnant, sugar is the most likely culprit.
It was so much easier in the beginning of the pregnancy.

Actually, up until about two months ago, it was really easy.  I really only craved salty things (Wendy's french fries...yummmmm).  And then I cracked and suddenly, the sweets were just too hard to resist.
Now don't go freaking out on me (I can just hear my mom now...gah).  I'm not eating cake for breakfast or anything that dramatic.  I have a couple of pieces of candy (the mini sized ones!) during the day...okay maybe closer to like six a day or something like that.  And sometimes I indulge in a frappucino (one a week if that...decaf).

Maybe, just maybe, that's what is causing the headaches.  If not causing them, perhaps they are making them worse.
My plan was to run an experiment tomorrow and go the whole day with no sweets and see how I feel.
Today, I unintentionally avoided sweets until about four hours ago. 

We were grocery shopping and the Easter candy was on sale.  So, we picked up a couple of the Reese's peanut butter eggs and a couple of Cadbury eggs.
Seriously, i had two.  1 and 2.  That's all.

And about 45 minutes later, the headache set in and hasn't let up.

I'm pregnant!  I should be allowed to eat candy, cakes, brownies, cookies, ice cream, the whole kit and kaboodle if I want to!
But no....damn headaches have to come on.  And then I'm left to decide if I want to take my super drugs from my doc to get rid of it and run the risk of my baby boy developing a third arm (I know...I'm being melodramatic but again, I'm pregnant and I can if I want to).  

Tomorrow, I'm going to run the experiment and I'll report back on how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I so sympathize with you on the headaches. I found out the culprit of my migraines seems to have been allergies all this time! It's crazy how something so simple could have prevented such a major issue. I hope you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...