Friday, June 3, 2011

Beauty

Ashley over at The Shine Project has announced that the month of June is going to be focused on body image.  To kick off the month, the challenge this week is to define beauty.
This is kind of an interesting project for me because let's face it, at 9 months pregnant, my body is completely different from what it has been.  

I don't think that beauty is defined by a weight range or body shape, a specific hair color, an eye color, or a set of sparkling pearlies.
Beauty is confidence.

Beauty is the feeling of my baby boy kicking me, even if I'm certain I'm developing internal injuries from repetitive kicks in the same spot.
I sometimes wonder what is happening to the girls that are growing up now.  Where is the confidence?  Where is their assurance in their body image?

I've never considered myself to be gorgeous.  I think that I have my moments when I can be quite captivating (seriously, have you seen my eyes?  They are fantastic!).  I'm glad that I can say that although I've had my pitfalls, my body image has never been seriously tainted.  I worry about the girls who look in the mirror and because they don't see a 5'10", 105 pound girl reflected back, they feel that they are less than or that there is something wrong.
I've had more of an hourglass figure for my entire life and honestly, I love it.   When I was looking for a wedding dress, I didn't want to look like Cinderella.  I wanted to look like Jessica Rabbit.

via
There are so many ways to define beauty and honestly, I don't think it's something that I can really set a definition to.  But I can say that it is not a specific shape or size of a person.  And it's also different for everyone.

However, if your definition of what is beautiful begins to take over your life and leads to potentially dangerous actions or reactions, perhaps it's time to reevaluate beauty...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...