Friday, November 30, 2012

An epidemic...

Has anyone noticed how prevalent cursing is now?

There's a new radio comedy station here that I'm somewhat addicted to.  Since Stephen hasn't started talking, I don't really have much conversation during the day so the comedy station gives me an opportunity to listen to adults talk.  The major bonus is that I laugh ridiculously hard.  

However, while driving around today (Stephen was not with me when this happened), I was surprised to hear the comedian say "bitch" and it wasn't edited out.  He wasn't using it as the technical term for a female dog but as the derogatory curse word.  

Now, let me be clear.  I am not innocent of cursing by any means (ask Erin).  In fact, and this is not something I'm proud of, I've been cursing since middle school.  Frequently.  Like a sailor.  In fact, I think I've said things that would shame a sailor.  Again, this is not something I'm proud of.

Maybe that I'm getting older.  Maybe it's because I'm a mom and I'm becoming much more aware of the words that people are using, how they use them and in what tone.  Whatever the reason, I find it a little sad that cursing has become such a blase aspect of society now.  Most people don't bat an eyelash when "bitch"/"shit"/"damn" are thrown out.  Fortunately, the almighty F-bomb hasn't made its way into prime time television.

So what gives?  Have we really lost all touch with any form of eloquence or intelligence that we cannot find better words to express ourselves?  George Washington said:
"The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing, and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it."

Although I can't say that I whole heartedly agree with this statement because there are times when the curse word just feels right, I do think there is some truth behind it.  As parents, should we not teach our children a vocabulary that is strong and vast enough to thoroughly express themselves without curse words?  

Did you know that the word nice at one point in its history was considered utterly offensive?  

Considering that, is it possible that curse words are going the route that nice has taken?  Meaning, will "curse" words lose their offensive power altogether at some point in the future?  

Either way, I'm starting to believe it is time that I expand my vocabulary.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...